sábado, 17 de abril de 2010

The Great Challenge, Dick Van Dyke's hability

My blog's name talk about a big challenge,what I suppose you must think: What this guy is talking about? As a future journalist that I hope one day I could be, this huge challenge that my friends and I must face on is our skills' "transfer" from the old media (radio, papers and TV) to the new platforms that currently are arising.

This phenomenon has two main dificulties for us. Firstly, not everybody is keen on technology. If you don't like it is something that you're going to have vague knowledge since it is something that is not taught at schools or colleagues. Secondly, technology's flow is almost immeasurable. We could have a nice personal website where we publish our news and stuff but in only few months it could be extremely outdate, just a pair of years ago platforms as Twitter and blogs were unknown for the majority of the public. Nowadays, personal website sounds old-fashions and others are trendier.

This Challenge became bigger if your job is so deeply in touch with this technology's flow we are talking about. Teachers, firemen, bankers or even politicians are not obligated to change their work style in a short period of time; they can be neglected "technologers" and it isn't going to sway in their careers. The great challenge of today's journalist is being update to every single new stuff that could be a media develop, you must nudge over the others in order to make your own label, you must be a kind of orchesta-man who is aware of new things and immediately could manage to be a number one on it.

In a way, you should be as Dick Van Dyke at Mary Poppins, appear when nobody expects you and surprise the audience whit a new skill. If you are a journalist you have to be aware to be great pavement painter or an excellent chimney sweeper.



2 comentarios:

  1. Great post! I loved the metaphor with Dick Van Dyke... however, my friend. "Teachers are not obligated to change their work style in a short period of time"... one day I'll show you my CV to see what you think. Take care and keep on posting. I love your style.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I loved Mary Poppins and her songs. My friends even say that my handbag is like Mary Poppins' one, you can find whatever you want there.
    Maybe, also as a future journalist, I have more in common with her as I thought, apart from a huge bag...

    ResponderEliminar